Glucometers Protocol Specifications
This website is intended to provide description of protocols (or "Computer Interface Specifications") for various glucometers.
As few manufacturers publish documentation of their meters' protocols, the majority of the content is produced by reverse engineering the data transmission between meters and PCs, and documenting it.
Reversed Engineered Protocols
- Abbott Laboratories
- SD Biosensor
See reverse engineering contribution suggestions for details on how to contribute new protocols.
Manufacturer Supplied Documentation
- Ascensia Diabetes Care (Contour brand, formerly under the Bayer name.)
Standards and Common Protocols
CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute) develop and publish protocols that are used by some meter manufacturers.
The two main relevant documents are:
- Specification for Low-Level Protocol to Transfer Messages Between Clinical Laboratory Instruments and Computer Systems, 2nd Edition (LIS01-A2)
- Specification for Transferring Information Between Clinical Laboratory Instruments and Information Systems, 2nd Edition (LIS02-A2)
These are proprietary, not freely available standards.
Many Bluetooth glucometers implement GATT Services, which then reference the following specifications:
- Glucose Profile (GLP) 1.0.
- Glucose Service (GLS) 1.0.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Profile (CGMP) 1.0.1
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Service (CGMS) 1.0.1
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Use the information you'll find in this page for whatever purpose you see fit, but there is no warranty about the accuracy of this information.
Most of the information has been reverse engineerd by individual contributors, see the individual page for details.